Fans were evacuated from Labatt Memorial Park in the fifth inning of the London Majors home opener on Friday night due to concerns of a gas leak at a concession stand.
A number of police and fire department vehicles were called in at around 9:30 p.m., with fans being told over the PA system to leave the premises.
“They put an announcement on that everybody should slowly and calmly leave the stadium,” said Don Miller, who was inside to watch the game.
The emergency evacuation was the result of two people who had collapsed at approximately the same time. Fans told CBC News it happened near a concession stand, leading to speculation that it was a gas leak.
“Upon arrival, two patients were assessed. One patient declined treatment. A second was transported to Victoria hospital, mainly for observation,” said Dan Griffiths, operations supervisor with Middlesex London EMS.
Griffiths said a gas leak was not found.
BREAKING: Fans have been evacuated from the <a href=”https://twitter.com/londonmajors?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@londonmajors</a> home opener at Labatt Memorial Park. No official word on what the emergency was. Happened 3rd or 4th inning. Majors Twitter account saying the game was delayed. Here’s a video account from a fan. <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/ldnont?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#ldnont</a> <a href=”https://t.co/yA5zGt1tIy”>pic.twitter.com/yA5zGt1tIy</a>
Just after 10 p.m., London Majors spokesperson Matt Hiscox said in an email statement that the game has been “postponed” but didn’t have any other details.
By that time, the stadium had been cleared. Officials inside the stadium began raking the field and said the game had been postponed.