After a lot of uncertainty, People reported on November 17 that the docuseries will hit Netflix in December 2022. (No, for real this time.)
But according to a Deadline report from October 2022, the series unofficial release date was always set for December 2022, on the heels of the new season of Netflix’s The Crown. However, the streamer then reportedly pushed the documentary to an unknown date in 2023 because of backlash to some of the storylines on season five of The Crown. Now it looks as if everything’s back on track.
Here’s the summary of events, as per Deadline: On October 15, former British prime minister John Major complained about an episode in which Prince Charles (played by Dominic West) complained to Major (Jonny Lee Miller) about how long he’s had to wait to become king. The ex-PM claims that no such conversation ever happened.
While The Crown is based on true events, it is a fictionalised version of those events and has never positioned itself as non-fiction. That said, following the backlash, executives at Netflix were reportedly “rattled,” according to Deadline’s anonymous source. “They blinked first and decided to postpone the documentary.”
Then, yet another report from October stated that Deadline’s story was false and that Netflix would still air the documentary series in December as planned. Now we know!
We’ll be waiting with bated breath until the specific date is revealed…
Meghan Markle doesn’t seem to be the series’ biggest fan.
Gossip has circulated for weeks that Meghan and Harry are not happy with the documentary. On October 4, Page Six reported that the Sussexes were demanding edits in the wake of Queen Elizabeth’s death in September. According to the rumours, the couple wanted to walk back some of what they said about Charles and Camilla, now King and Queen Consort.
In an interview with Variety released October 19, Meghan implied that the documentary is not exactly what she envisioned. “It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it,” she said, referencing director Liz Garbus. “But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.”
When was Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s documentary filmed?
The Sussexes finalised a multi-year deal with Netflix in September 2020 for content focused on documentary projects, feature films, televisions series, and children’s shows, per The New York Times. Since then, cameras have been spotted following them around, meaning that the doc will most likely focus on their lives over the past two years, post-royal family.
Who is the director?
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s documentary series is directed by award-winning filmmaker Liz Garbus.
Garbus has directed documentaries, including the Oscar-nominated The Farm: Angola, USA, which followed the lives of inmates at a prison in Louisiana. Garbus also directed films about public figures, including Marilyn Monroe (Love, Marilyn), Nina Simone (What Happened, Miss Simone?), and chess champion Bobby Fischer (Bobby Fischer Against the World).
A version of this article originally appeared on GLAMOUR’s US site.